Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Build - Surly Pacer - More Stuff, and the Parts I Forgot to Order!

I made some more progress late Wednesday bolting things to the Surly.

Braze on front derailleurs are a thing that I've heard of. I don't think SRAM is making any front derailleurs that have a clamp size of my Surly (28.6, or something like that), so I ordered an adapter. It mounts up nice and cleanly enough.


The crank looks nice all mounted and stuff too!


Which reminds me, let's make a list of the stuff I forgot to buy.

Bottom Bracket Tool
Top Cap for the Headset - This is kind of necessary. To keep the fork from coming off while I am riding. Which would kill me.
Bar Tape
Seat - Saddle, whatever you want to call it, I'd call it important. Bought one from Neuvation today. I didn't necessarily forget to buy a seat, but I couldn't decide on one until today. Given the price and quality of the wheel I got from them, I'm sure the saddle will be up to snuff, and I see myself buying a bunch of stuff from them in the future.

Yeah, so I bought that stuff on the eBays and internets last night and today. If it all comes together, I might be able to finish the bike by next weekend, which would be cool.

Anyway, back to the build.

Pro tip, here's how you keep your frame from getting scratched in your work stand.


I know this, by moving it in the stand without it, and scuffing my paint. Damn. It isn't bad, probably buff out.

Second pro tip, if you don't have a stem and bars mounted, the fork can swing around and cause your newly-installed brakes to slam into your frame, chipping the paint or denting it. I saw this one coming, so I'm sure I'll have another mistake make it's way into my garage at an unspecified later date. Anyway, I put a few pieces of gaffer tape (thank you, Colorado Film School) on the downtube to protect it.


iPhone 3GS, could you be any worse at macro photography? No. Your lens might as well be waxed paper.

So here's where we are at now


and a box of trash


Tires! I forgot to buy tires! How do I even get dressed in the morning? Anyone have a recommendation for a 23c road tire for the natty Colorado roads?

1 comment: