Monday, March 14, 2011

New Build - Surly Pacer - Delivery Part Deux!


Warning, my garage is messy. You try remodeling a house front to back, working on a bunch of bikes, and keeping a 14 year old Saab running, then see what happens.

Anyway, three boxes!


Two biggies and one wee one.

First biggie would be the front wheel, from Nashbar and picked up on sale for 30 bucks! I'm pretty amazed at the weight and hub quality for the price. I might have to order another one for the hipster trendy fixie machine.


Being a bigger guy, I've learned to put my money into the rear wheel of my bikes. Fixie's front wheel is a 15 dollar radial laced thingy picked up from Veloswap, BUT the rear wheel is a Mavic Open Sport, 36 spoke, and hand built by the good folks at Salvagetti. It's super true and has taken one hell of a beating so far.

Given that I know to put the money in the back (there's a Miami Bass song title in that line somewhere), the second big box is from Neuvation.


That would be an M28 Aero rear wheel, picked up on sale as well, for 150 bucks. Bladed spokes! Wow. This thing looks waaay cooler up close and in person. Except for the decals; those will have to go. I typically strip the decals off of just about everything I get, then build up a new layer of Venture Brothers, Pablo's Coffee, Red Fang, and Nintendo-themed stickers to get it back up to sticker quota.

The hub on the Neuvation spins butter smooth too. Just to be safe, I put extra butter on it to make sure it was topped off. If you pass me while I'm on this bike, which you will, and you get a hankering ("hankering" is in spell check ?(!)) for popcorn, now you'll know why.

After reading reviews online, my wheel choice for the back was down to two, the Neuvation or a Forte Titan (or Titan Forte, can't recall if it is a thing a titan is good at, or a description of how metaphorical someone's specialty is). Both apparently come off of the same production line, but the Neuvation is built to a higher spec, and seems to get the endorsement of larger riders like myself. That's all I really needed to hear, "buy the Neuvation if you're a big guy".

If you tell me you like donuts AND you like a certain bicycle component, then I will heed your word, husky fellow (sorry for calling you husky). Knowing that in the cycling world my double-benjamin weight makes me Shamu-esque makes me want to punch someone (smaller than me).

Third box, the little guy, is a cable and housing kit from Jenson.


Exciting, I know. Expecially because I don't have handlebars, brakes, or a front derailleur to connect my shifters to. Also it looks like I accidentally ordered white housing. Guess I'll keep the white shifter hoods and maybe look for a white saddle. Oh well. Should look nice against the green frame, and if not, then I'll go running back to the internets to order things that match the color of my black little soul.

Speaking of the internets, I just got an email that let me know my handlebars, stem, and pedals shipped! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment