Thursday, April 28, 2011

Damp Clementines

Last Thursday as I was rolling down my driveway (on a bicycle, not like this) to begin my commute to work. At that very moment, the Basset Hounds Sunning Themselves Weather Index, BHSTWI, took a nasty turn from overcast to "go back inside, point your junk skyward and fall fast asleep", as shown here by my dog Gunther.


Stellar example indeed.

Side note: Basset Hounds are the rat-rod cruisers of dogs; low, slow, not what one would call intelligent, but awesome nonetheless.

Anyway, the BHSTWI went from tolerable to bad, junk skyward, etc. Long story short, it started raining.

At this point, I was about two blocks and a dismount from taking the bus to work, but Liquid Swords were coursing through my earbud (I only ever ride with one) and I thought "I can beat it"

I can beat it?

Really? Water falling from the sky? You can beat it?

No.

No matter how fast you ride, and no matter how much Wu-Tang you have in your one earbud, you cannot beat the rain. Thankfully, it wasn't that bad, I was on the fixie so my pretty new Surly didn't get dirty, I didn't have my laptop in my backpack, and everything else survived the 4 mile trip. My clementines did get a little damp though. Feel free to read into that as much as you care to.

After arriving at work, I set up a shanty town of drying clothes in a recently abandoned cubicle near mine, started up a little space heater, and began dousing the entire floor with wafting odors of drying cycling clothes. It was like having Gunther a cubicle away, all day.

Lessons learned: GZA makes you overconfident, you can't outrun the rain, and every now and then a slightly rainy commute isn't a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment